Fish spas used to be all the rage when they first came out. However, although interest may have dwindled down as of now, the spa ritual of submerging your feet into a pool of water as fish start to nibble away the dead and dry skin on that area is still pretty popular. After all, it seems like a great idea as you can also relax while your feet become soft and smooth again.
However, it turns out that these fish spas that offer you a pedicure may not be as good as you think. According to CNN, a young woman in her 20s from New York apparently went for a fish pedicure and as a result, it led to the loss of her toenails. Say what.
Based on a report posted in the journal JAMA Dermatology, the bizarre case caught doctors’ attention as the woman had a rather common condition known as onychomadesis. This caused her toenails to begin separating from her toes, which would usually result in them falling right off!
Apparently, the woman had visited a fish spa six months before this and tiny fish known as Garra rufa had nibbled on her feet. Before her condition, she did not have any other injuries, infections, medications, autoimmune and heritable conditions that would have caused her toenails to fall off, but she mentioned that she had received a fish pedicure.
The report’s author, Dr Shari R. Lipner, an assistant professor of dermatology at Weill Cornell Medicine and director of the nail division, deduced that it was very likely that the fish pedicure had caused the onychomadesis. Luckily, the woman is fine now but her toenails will take some time to grow back.
“We don’t see the [nail] shedding until months after the event, so I think it’s hard for patients and physicians – especially if they’re not even aware that fish pedicures can do this – to make that connection. The patient had no other medical history that she could link to her abnormal toenails. I think we’re fairly sure that it was the fish pedicure,” Lipner explained.
Although it isn’t exactly clear how the fish may have caused the onychomadesis, Lipner said that it’s likely trauma from the fish biting multiple nails that caused the nails to stop growing. “This case highlights the importance of skin and nail problems associated with fish pedicures and the need for dermatologists to educate our patients about these adverse effects,” the report stated.
This is not the first time that fish spas have been known to cause problems as previously, there were reports of infections being spread through fish pedicures too. Sometimes the fish and tubs used may not have been cleaned properly between uses, which could lead to the rise of infections.
While not all doctors are convinced by this report, there are still very valid concerns about sanitation issues. Essentially, the fish in the tub are actually starved so they will feed on your dead skin! Perhaps it’s better to stick to the usual pedicure instead?
M’sia Day: From Good Memories to Biggest Struggles, M’sians From Different Walks of Life Share Their Inspiring Stories
As we all know, Merdeka has passed, and Malaysia Day is fast approaching. And for those of you who often...
Forget Flying to Jeju For Cherry Blossoms, Visit This Immersive innisfree Event Instead For Free Goodies & More!
Very often, when we say “Korea”, some of the very first things that come to mind are skincare products, the...
Looking For Your Next Holiday Destination? Here Are 3 Hidden Gems in Vietnam You MUST Visit!
You know you’re blessed to be Malaysian when you get to have a numerous amount of public holidays that come...
API Readings GLITCHED in Penang, Recorded at 60 When It Was Actually Over 200!
Video: Young Man Gets Cat-Called And Chased By Group Of Aunties In Taiping
KLCC Towers Can’t Be Seen AT ALL Now and We’re Convinced We’re All Doomed
37yo Fitness Instructor Suddenly Gets Stroke, Doctor Says It’s His Genes & Lack of Sleep
Lady Shares Cute Story of How She Saved Dying Pet Goldfish After Its Tail Rotted Away
Forest Fires in Indonesia Are Leaving Endangered Sumatran Orangutans Homeless Among Ashes
- News21 hours ago
NASA Released Shocking Images of Indonesia’s Haze Which Can Be Seen Even From Outer Space
- Malaysia2 days ago
Beware: Armed Men in Proton Saga Rob Women in Broad Daylight Right Outside Their Damansara Home
- Viral24 hours ago
The Haze in Indonesia is So Hazardous That Birds Are Falling Dead on the Streets
- Inspiring2 days ago
71yo Auntie Sells Bread to Survive But People Are Stealing From Her Because She’s BLIND
- News2 days ago
Study: Superbugs Found in Raw Seafood Could Cause Sushi Lovers to Be Antibiotic-Resistant
- Tech2 days ago
Guy Finds PS4 Infested With COCKROACHES While Cleaning It, But It’s Apparently Common
- News2 days ago
Parents Feed Baby Daughter with 1.5 Litres of COFFEE Every Day As They Could Not Afford Milk
- Inspiring2 days ago
Penang Aunty Sells Chicken Rice in The Morning, Takes Care of Over 100 Stray Dogs & Cats at Night