It goes without saying that showering and keeping ourselves clean is a daily part of our lives. In fact, most, if not all of us, would wash our faces and take a shower at least twice a day. After all, nothing beats going to school or work feeling refreshed, or coming home and going to bed after a nice, warm shower.
However, did you know that while showering is good for you, foam and bubbles can be harmful to your body and face? If you think having more foam and lather in your shower routines = clean, think again. Here’s why it’s best to avoid super foamy and bubbly products in your day-to-day bathroom regime:
1. Most foamy products are not pH balanced and will ruin the pH reading on your skin
In case you’re unaware, your skin has a natural pH reading of approximately 5.5, meaning it’s slightly on the acidic side. Unfortunately, most foamy products are not pH balanced and may be on the more alkaline side of the pH scale. Using these types of products on your face or body will have a tendency of causing:
- Dry and sensitive skin because the product isn’t pH balanced and it will end up causing your skin’s pH reading to be unbalanced as well.
- More breakouts as your skin no longer has its natural protective layer.
- It impairs your skin’s ability to retain moisture even if you use moisturising products.
2. The high amount of soap will irritate your skin and cause it to lose its protective layer
The acidity of your skin actually acts as a protective layer preventing nasty dust particles and bacteria from entering your skin. When this is damaged or completely stripped away (especially by high levels of soap in your foamy products), your skin becomes dry, loses its first line of defense, and becomes vulnerable to bacteria. This usually gives you that “squeaky clean” feeling after each wash which most think is good, but it really isn’t. That’s why it’s always best to choose a soap-free product to avoid these issues as well:
- Breakouts, especially when the soap overdries or over cleanses your skin.
- Your skin becomes unable to protect itself or rebuild dead skin cells after your natural oils are completely stripped off.
3. It probably only suits normal skin types
Most of your off-the-shelf soaps and cleansers, especially the foamy ones, are often made to suit normal skin types only. The ingredients in these bubbly products don’t usually take into account dry, sensitive, oily, combination skin types, let alone those with skin allergies such as eczema or psoriasis.
And for those of us with Asian skin, there’s a high chance most of us don’t fall under the normal skin type and would need a special soap or cleanser catered to our different needs. In fact, most Malaysian dermatologists would recommend gentle skin cleansers which are much less foamy but suited for all skin types, even those with allergies. This can help you avoid:
- Skin dullness, redness or increased skin sensitivity and even more severe skin conditions.
- Rough, dry or peeling skin.
- Flare-ups, breakouts, and clogged pores.
4. Foamy products usually contain A LOT of fragrances that irritate the skin
If you’re the type of person to judge a product based on how nice it smells, you should know that the stronger the scent, the more fragrances that are found in it. These fragrances are all likely made up of synthetic chemicals that can negatively affect your skin’s protective layer and more. Some of the issues tied to these chemicals include:
- Skin irritations that can lead to redness, itch, breakouts, dry and peeling skin, and so forth
- Fragrances and synthetic colours can cause allergies
Evidently, skincare products don’t just affect the surface of your skin, but your overall health too. And while it is important to cleanse your face and body to remove impurities from the surface of your skin daily, it’s crucial to note that you should not strip your skin of its natural oils.
If your current products give you that squeaky clean feeling after each use, remember that it is not a good feeling, especially if it’s your face! In fact, it’s time to throw those products out as they will only bring more harm than good in the long run.
Remember that any good cleanser you buy should always come with these benefits:
- Soap-free – To avoid over-drying your skin
- Fragrance-free – It won’t irritate your skin
- Dermatologist recommended – You’ll never go wrong finding a product that’s trusted by doctors and dermatologists as these medical experts will only recommend the best for you with your skin health in mind.
- Non-comedogenic – It won’t clog your pores, hence reduce breakouts
- pH balanced – The pH reading closely matches your skin’s so as to ensure it doesn’t strip your skin of its natural protective barrier
- Clinically proven to be non-irritating
- Made with a safe and gentle formulation that cleans while still leaving your skin feeling moisturised (it also will not sting the eyes)
With that said, if you’re keen to try out something new in terms of your face wash that comes with all the above benefits, you can opt to try Cetaphil’s Gentle Skin Cleanser instead! Healthy skin is something all women want, after all!
This soap-free, Dermatologist-recommended product is suitable for all skin types including dry, sensitive, oily, combination, normal, even those with eczema or psoriasis, and will give your skin the tender loving care it deserves.
Sounds too good to be true? Well, believe it guys! Even admin uses this cleanser! Renowned Malaysian actress, Lisa Surihani has also been a firm believer of the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ever since she was pregnant with her second child, Yusof.
View this post on Instagram
Pregnancy hormones made her skin very oily and that’s when she decided to give Cetaphil a try. She hasn’t looked back since. This explains why her skin still looks so silky smooth!
If you don’t believe us, give the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser a try and find out for yourself! It may not give you the super “squeaky clean” feeling your foamy cleansers give you, but it still does the job when it comes to cleaning and keeping your skin soft. It doesn’t foam much at all so it will take time to get used to, but it’s definitely the better option for the long run.
Interested to get yourself a bottle? Visit any Watsons pharmacy near you or find out more about the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser here!
New Year, New Travels: Malaysians Share Their Favourite Destinations to Makan Angin This CNY!
Travelling is arguably one of the best ways to broaden your perspective and knowledge of other cultures and, for some,...
What Say You: Why Is Kuching Called Kuching?
6 Delicious Places in Milan Every Malaysian Foodie MUST Visit That Only the Locals Know About
We all dream of visiting Europe one day. The rich history, cathedrals, incredible architecture, what’s not to love? One of...
Someone in Melaka was Putting Medicine Pills with Cat Food to Poison Them to Death
This Lady Just Became the FIRST Malaysian Crowned World No. 1 in Accounting Exam
Water Disruption Expected In Subang Jaya After Car Accident Caused Major Pipe Burst In Area
Worried Owner Thought Kitten with Bloated Tummy Was Sick, Turns Out It Was Just Fat
83yo Grandma Becomes a Adult Film Star After Husband Dies & Only Wants to Film With Young Men
Cheras Man Warns M’sians After Thieves Hacked & Reprogrammed His Car in 20 Mins
- Funny2 days ago
“Go Tom!” – Hilarious Video Shows 10 Terrified M’sian Boys Shouting at Their Cat to Catch Rat
- Funny19 hours ago
12yo Jumps 1,000 Times DAILY to be Taller, Ends Up Being Shortest Kid in Class After a Year
- Inspiring16 hours ago
Man Shares How Fatty Crab Workers Went Through Rubbish Bin to Help Find Wife’s Lost Ring
- Cute2 days ago
‘The Flash’ Actor Trying to Speak Bahasa Malaysia Got Netizens Melting
- Inspiring2 days ago
‘Luke Skywalker’ Suddenly Gains Thousands of Malaysian Fans After Tweeting Wrong Flag
- Viral2 days ago
Beware: More and More Cars Are Being Broken Into at Klang Supermarket’s Parking Lot
- Viral2 days ago
SG Brand is Selling Pineapple Tart WITHOUT Pineapple Jam for RM50 and It’s All Sold Out!
- Funny1 day ago
17-Year-Old Guy Pretends to be Pocong, Gets Arrested by the Police