Listen to this post:
Oh no, this does not look good!
An athlete from Shrewsbury, Shropshire in England went blind after his contact lenses caused him to develop an infection in his right cornea, reported Metro News.
Nick Humphreys, 29, started wearing glasses when he was four but wanted to improve his health picking up sports in 2013, so he switched his eyewear to monthly lenses that cost him about £25 (RM129) each time. Since then, he had been wearing lenses up to five days a week and switched to glasses on other days.
In January 2018, Nick noticed a scratch on his eye when he woke up one morning and realised that he could not see through his right eye properly. He didn’t think much about it and dismissed it as just a scratch from putting his lenses in. However, his eyesight worsened throughout the week, after which he went to the optician who told him that he had developed an ulcer on his eye and referred him to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.
Doctors told him that he had contracted Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), an infection of the cornea caused by a microscopic organism found in water, and this was possible as he had showered while wearing his contact lenses on countless occasions.
“On a standard morning I’d wake up, pop my lenses in and head to the gym before work, then I’d jump in the shower before heading to the office,” he shared on Shropshire Star. “I thought nothing of it at the time. I was never told not to wear contact lenses in the shower, there’s no warning on the packaging and my opticians never mentioned a risk.”
“I told the doctor that I’d read a few horror stories about it and asked if I would need to have my eye removed. He just looked at me and said, “That could well be a possibility.” That’s when I realised it was serious,” Nick said.
He was then prescribed disinfectant eye drops for three weeks, which seemed to improve his eyesight. However, in March 2018, Nick was shocked to find that he had gone completely blind in his right eye!
“I was driving to work and my vision completely went in my right eye. I don’t know how I managed not to crash, but it didn’t take me long to realise I needed to get back to the hospital,” he said.
After getting the infection, Nick said that he went from going to the gym almost every day and playing football three times a week, to being “housebound for six months and losing the will to live”.
“I love my job but I physically couldn’t be outside the house. The pain in my eye was too much and the only time I would leave was to visit the hospital. I felt at my absolute lowest and the one thing that would cheer me up – playing football – was no longer an option,” he said.
In July 2018, Nick went for a procedure which managed to remove the infection, but still left him blind in his right eye.
“Obviously, I didn’t want to be blind in my right eye, but at least, knowing the infection had gone, I could start to get my life back on track. I could finally return to work and start to hit the gym,” he said.
Now, Nick has had two operations on his eye and is waiting for a corneal transplant.
“I can honestly say if I’d had the slightest idea that this was even a remote possibility I would never have worn contacts in the first place. It’s crucial that people out there know this is a reality and it can happen because of something as simple as getting in the shower,” he said.
Yikes! For those of you who wear contact lenses, you might want to take them out before showering! Hopefully, Nick will be able to have his eyesight completely restored one day.
I Mailed Myself to My Mom in Damansara Utama
We Try Malaysia’s First Spicy Noodle Soup Challenge
Explore Ancient Remnants, Floating Villages & MORE For The Adventure Of A LIFETIME At Siem Reap
Intrigue, cultural discoveries, mystery, and excitement—what’s a holiday without a little bit of adventure? Whether you’re a solo traveller, couple...
Police Shares How Cute Doggo Shows up at Texan Police Station and Has a “Ball” With Them
Creator of Lego Minifigure, Jens Nygaard Knudsen Passed Away at 78
5 Year Old in Terengganu Suffers Broken Cheekbone, Believed to Have Been Abused at Home
Company Behind Collapsed Condo In Taman Desa Used Illegal Immigrant Workers & Underpaid Them
“Difficult To Deal With Indian Buyers,” Property Agent Tells M’sian Lady Wanting To View House
Restaurant In Sabah Just Created Worm Sushi & People Are Actually Starting To Like It!
- Food1 day ago
Do You Pick The Taugeh Out Of Your Char Keuy Teow? Here’s What Science Says!
- Culture1 day ago
Why Do M’sian Hairdressers Always (Frustratingly) Cut Our Hair Way Too Short?
- Malaysia2 days ago
M’sians Angry After AG Releases 12 Men Charged With Links To Sri Lankan Terrorist Group
- Viral1 day ago
Video: Did A Dust Storm Just Hit the Shores of Penang?
- Malaysia1 day ago
Man Suffers 18 Hour Erection, Doctors Think It Could Be Caused by Marijuana
- Viral1 day ago
Exposed: Workers in Indonesia Repackaging USED Surgical Masks For Sale
- Heartbreaking1 day ago
Animal Shelter in Mexico Surprised By a Dog At Their Doorstep With Heartbreaking Letter
- Viral8 hours ago
Watch: Klang Man Tries to Rob Jewellery Store, Gets Injured and Caught by Public