Listen to this post:
Be prepared, because this piece of news reported recently by The Independent, Futurism and Science Alert may not necessarily be the development that you’ve been waiting to hear about the current state of the world. But, don’t get in a panic just yet. According to both publications, it has been revealed that an international team of researchers has made a startling discovery in an artificial lake in Brazil.
They found a new virus that when analysed, had 90% of genes that had never ever been recorded by scientists, according to their paper which can be found on bioRxiv.
This revelation has left scientists puzzled, as not only does the virus have almost no genes that were recognisable to science, the new virus is actually much smaller in size as compared to other viruses. It is said that the virus was collected from amoebae in the artificial lake.
Now dubbed ‘Yaravirus’. after ‘Yara’, which means “mother of all waters” and a representation of a mermaid-like creature from Brazilian mythology that was said to have lured sailors down into the depths of waters to live with her forever, very little is known about the virus itself.
Despite the fact that 90% of the virus’ genes are still unrecorded by science, the remaining 10% seems to show that the virus shares some similarities with ‘giant’ viruses; the link between them is still unclear. And before any of you start freaking out, no, the virus hasn’t begun to spread, but further studies will be conducted to learn more about it.
So we can now all exhale a collective breath of relief, given the fact that it’s unlikely (at least at this point) that the virus might wind up causing another outbreak. Which comes to show that there’s still so much to the natural world that we humans don’t know about!
MCO: A Glimpse Into the Lives of M’sian Front-liners That Will Definitely Make Us Feel Grateful to Stay at Home
As we struggle with adjusting to life at home during the MCO period, the front-line workers are risking their lives...
M’sians Can Now Pre-Order The NEW HUAWEI P40 & More ONLINE + Get Up To RM1.3K Worth Of FREE Gifts!
Smartphone photography has definitely come a very long way in the past 10 years, if you think about it. But...
MCO Survival Guide: 4 Tips For Helpless Ketua Rumahs To Avoid Contact & Save More While Shopping!
As we’re spending our days during the Movement Control Order, most Malaysians are doing a good job by abiding by...
WhatsApp Is Limiting Messages That Are ‘Too Frequently Forwarded’ To Slow The Spreading Of Fake News
Adorable Dolphins Impersonate Sloth Who Was ‘Visiting’ While Aquarium Closed During Lock Down
MOH: 170 New Cases Of Covid-19 In Malaysia & 80 New Cases Discharged
19 People Caught Having A Private Party In Kajang Despite MCO
Malaysian Boy Shares Heartbreaking Story Of Not Being Able To Eat For 3 Days During MCO
Malaysians Can Observe The Super Pink Moon On Wednesday, 8 April
- Malaysia2 days ago
ALL Regions Of Kuala Lumpur Are Now Covid-19 Red Zones Except For Cheras
- Viral2 days ago
Hilton KL, Sunway Pyramid Hotel & These 29 Hotels in KL Are Now Covid-19 Quarantine Centres
- Cute2 days ago
Newborn Babies At This Hospital Given Adorable Mini Face-Shields To Protect Them From Covid-19
- News2 days ago
Malayan Tiger Tests Positive For Covid-19, Believed To Be Infected by Zoo Keeper With No Symptoms
- Heartbreaking2 days ago
Couple & Their Toddler Eat Only Rice With Sugar After Running Out of Money During MCO Period
- Malaysia14 hours ago
2 More Buildings In KL Now On Lockdown, All Entrances Guarded With Barbed Wire By Army & PDRM
- Malaysia1 day ago
Employees of SMEs Can Receive Up To RM1,200 Under New Wage Subsidy Program, Says PM
- Malaysia2 days ago
People Are WALKING Back To M’sia From Singapore Because They Can’t Afford High Cost Of Living