A Malaysian mother was shocked when she discovered a common houseplant causing much distress to her young daughter and wrote a post about it on Facebook to warn the public. Apparently, her four-year-old daughter, Nashwa had accidentally bitten one of the plant’s leaves which is actually toxic.
She said that she had left Nashwa alone for a while as she was busy with her younger child. To her surprise, Nashwa came running in not long after that while crying her heart out. She checked her for wounds or bruises but could not find any on her body. At first, her daughter did not want to tell her what happened but after much coaxing, Nashwa said that she had bitten the leaves of one of the plants around the house.
The worried mother Googled and discovered that the plant is Dieffenbachia, otherwise known as dumb cane plant which is commonly found in tropical countries. The sap from this plant contains needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals called raphides.
When chewed, the sap can cause many unpleasant symptoms including numbness, mouth irritation, excessive drooling, and localised swelling.
Nashwa was still sobbing hysterically and unable to close her mouth as her lips were experiencing a “seizure.” She was also drooling uncontrollably so her mother quickly rushed her to the clinic. The doctor said that it was lucky that she did not swallow the plant as it might cause her respiratory tract to be blocked. The doctor prescribed some medicine and pills for the little girl and thankfully, she recovered not long after that.
The concerned mother warned other parents out there about this innocent-looking plant and said that they should get rid of it especially if there were any young kids or pets in the house. Although the dumb cane plant is not deadly per se and is a really easy plant to look after, one should be careful with its sap and treat it well, based on its specific care instructions.
Make sure you keep the environment safe for any young kids or pets in your home!
M’sia Day: From Good Memories to Biggest Struggles, M’sians From Different Walks of Life Share Their Inspiring Stories
As we all know, Merdeka has passed, and Malaysia Day is fast approaching. And for those of you who often...
Forget Flying to Jeju For Cherry Blossoms, Visit This Immersive innisfree Event Instead For Free Goodies & More!
Very often, when we say “Korea”, some of the very first things that come to mind are skincare products, the...
Looking For Your Next Holiday Destination? Here Are 3 Hidden Gems in Vietnam You MUST Visit!
You know you’re blessed to be Malaysian when you get to have a numerous amount of public holidays that come...
4yo Boy Only Had Pain in Leg But Was Later Diagnosed With Sepsis & Deadly Flesh-Eating Disease
Kuching Is Now The Most Polluted City in the WORLD Because of the Haze
Rempit Kids Are Cheating Death Again by Doing “Superman” Pose, This Time on PLUS Highway
Malaysian Loses 75kg in Only 6 Months by Doing 20 Minutes Exercise Every Day
Heartbreaking Moment Old Uncle Sells Food Past Midnight, But No One Buys From Him
Did You Know Malaysians Can Actually Renew Their Passport Online? Here’s How
- Malaysia2 days ago
Wife of Famous M’sian “Tit Tar” Master was Allegedly Domestically Abused and Beaten
- Inspiring2 days ago
Baptist College In Australia Changes Dress Code To Accommodate Their First Hijabi Student
- Viral17 hours ago
Tuition Teacher Rapes Underage Student 285 Times & Promises to Marry Her When She Turns 18
- Viral2 days ago
M’sians Are Sticking Pantyliners in Surgical Masks to Fight Haze & We Can’t Believe It
- Malaysia2 days ago
End of an Era: Mid Valley’s Speedy Outlet is Closing for Good on 15th September
- Malaysia1 day ago
Netflix Series Shows Spy Using ‘Old’ Coin to Pay for Newspaper and It’s… The Malaysian 10 Cent Coin
- Funny2 days ago
M’sian Employee Attempts To Write Minutes In Cantonese, Despite Not Speaking A Word Of It
- Viral2 days ago
Dad-To-Be Uses 2,000 Blocks of Instant Noodle to DIY a Playhouse for His Future Baby